It was a beautiful August day and I had just dropped my two year old son Brandon off at day care. I walked back to the car and turned around to wave good-bye and he was standing there crying and reaching out to me. I cried all the way to work and I realized I was not going to make a good working mom. A few years later when my second son Bryan was born, I quit my full time job. After trying several boring and low-paying part-time jobs I thought I would try the Direct Selling company my mother was with.Everything was not great at first. There were ups and downs in my business and my paycheck. There were several times I thought of just giving up and going back to work. Every time that thought came into my head I remembered what it was like that beautiful August day when I had driven to work, crying my eyes out and I knew that quitting was not an option. I had a purpose for working the business! My purpose was to be home with the boys during the day and work a few evenings a week. My husband enjoyed being with the boys and taking care of them while I worked. Our family became passionate about the lifestyle we were living. We were happy and well-adjusted to dad working days and mom working a few nights. Our family budget was not hurting because the income I began to generate in Direct Selling was actually more than my take home pay had been when I was working full time and paying day care. We were living life to the fullest. My passion to be home with the boys became my purposefor sticking with the business even if things weren’t always going well. If an obstacle came up in my business I found a way to go over it or around it. Quitting no longer became an option. Finding a way to keep my business growing on a daily basis became my focus. It is amazing what answers we can discover when we begin searching for the right answers. Here are a few things that helped me along the road to success.
- Discover your reason for working the business. You need to know what your real “purpose” is if you want to stay committed to success. If you remain focused on your “why” you will always find out “HOW”. I have found over the years that as long as I remain focused on the why a solution always surfaced for any problem or obstacle. Take a few minutes to discover your “WHY” now.
- Set both short term and long term goals. Only 3% of the population sets goals for themselves and their business and the others wonder why they are not achieving success. “If you don’t know where you are going, how will you know when you get there?” Begin with a short term (30 day goal) of how much money you would like to earn from your business. Then decide what you are going to do with the money you have earned. Once you know how much you want and why you need to decide how you are going to earn the money. I love Direct Selling because there are so many different ways to build your business. You can hold parties, sell product and sponsor people into the business and each one of these activities will put you closer to the goal you have set for yourself.
- Attend meetings to stay motivated. This time of the year is not the time you want to skip any meetings. You need to stay motivated and the easiest way to stay motivated is to hang around with the positive results-oriented people in your company. YOU NEED MEETINGS! I’ve never known any successful people who make a habit of missing meetings. The successful people I know schedule their meetings in their calendar and work their business around the meeting schedule. Don’t be tempted to book a party on a meeting night because when you do it once you’ll be tempted to do it over and over again and you’ll miss a lot of motivation when you miss the meetings. If your company and or leaders are offering teleseminars join as often as you can!
- Ask questions. No man or woman is an island when you are part of a Direct Selling company. The Direct Selling Industry epitomizes what “Teamwork” is all about. Your up-line leader, customer service team and home office personnel are there when you need them. There is no such thing as a dumb question when it is regarding your success. ASK, ASK, ASK! OH yeah, don’t forget to ask your prospects questions! You’ll learn a lot more and have fantastic results when you learn to ask more questions. QUESTION ASKING IS A SKILL? Are you ready to participate?
- Never stop learning. I have seen so many company training manuals that are absolutely fantastic and yet I would wager a bet that over 80% of the people in business for themselves have not read the company training manual. Have your read yours? Did you highlight important material? Did you mark chapters that you need to go back and review. I know in the previous paragraph I told you to ask questions and I think you should but make sure the answer you are looking for is not in the company manual before you call your leader and use up her valuable time. You can never know too much about this business! You can never learn too much about people and selling and prospecting and on and on and on! Just when you think you know it all the rules will change so I repeat, never stop learning!
- Work through obstacles. “An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” All obstacles can be overcome in this business. Are you willing to stick it out? Are you a person who quits as soon as your business has a small slump or are you the type of person who laughs in the face of adversity? Heck, when I first joined Direct Selling my business was up and down like a roller coaster. If I wasn’t so stubborn I probably would have quit at least 20 or 30 times over my career. Instead I looked at each setback and realized it too was only temporary and if I didn’t give up I could work through it. You need to be tenacious in this business and it’s easy when you come back to your purpose!
Betty called my office today after reading my “Live Your Dreams” article in an issue of Successful Woman magazine. She told me that my article spoke to her and that she was looking for something different because she was working two jobs and was missing valuable time with her small children. She asked me if I thought she should join a Direct Selling company? “Yes”, was my reply. “You have a strong purpose for wanting to succeed and even if the road becomes a little bumpy along the way, remember your purpose and stay passionate about the business and everything will work out.” I asked her to let me know what she decided but I have a hunch she had already made her decision and was looking for someone to confirm her decision. I was excited and glad to help. You see, I know that you can be successful in anything you do as long as your passionate about your business and you keep focused on your purpose! Here’s to your success in Direct Selling!
Author Unknown If you are the author of this article please let us know so that we may provide you with proper credit.
Bella Shaye Jewelry since 2007. Bella Shaye is a company helping others to become self employed using the method of direct sales. Bella Shaye Jewelry is a fee free direct sales jewelry ground floor opportunity, working with only those who can commit to a average minimum of part time hours per week in their individual business. This is our way of providing a fee free company to our serious business owners and keeping our saturation low so that each business owner has the opportunity to grow his or her business in their hometown. We offer generous commissions of 30-40% plus up to 18% on your team. We are here to help others start a home based business of their own and enjoy the benefits and rewards of becoming a entrepreneur.
Bella Shaye Jewelry does not sell jewelry kits to those interested in purchasing our product at a discount.
Bella Shaye offers a beautiful line of high quality fashion jewelry made of the finest materials from classics, to the years best trends, all with a Lifetime Guarantee.
Image courtesy of renjith krishnan / FreeDigitalPhotos.net